Sunset is my favorite time of day. Work is over. My first chance to relax. I like to change into something loose and comfy, grab my camera, hop in our Scout Boat – Sportfish and head to Longboat Pass with a light nosh and enough time to get situated. Sometimes I drop the hook.
Sometimes I beach it and stroll until I find the perfect spot. Then I wait. I’m so not hurried. Nor is the coming show. Sunset time.
We’re truly blessed to live on the west coast of Florida. We have it all. Tropical weather. Some of the finest beaches in the world. Sea breeze during the day. Cooling land breeze at night. Undulating clouds high overhead.
Towering thunderstorms to the east. Clear, clean air. The occasional silhouette, a boat, sails filled with wind, passing in front of a shimmering glob of orange brightness. An unfettered view to the west. There simply is no better place to witness a magnificent Florida sunset. With luck, the elusive green flash will show itself. Be patient and watch carefully.
Won’t you share your favorite sunset photos with us? Cannons Marina invites you to send them in and enter our 2010 Sunset Photo Contest. We’ll post every entry on our Facebook page and we’ll declare the winners the week of August 9. There will be some nifty prizes, which we’ll announce along with the winners.
Following are the official 2010 Sunset Photo Contest rules…
- All entries must be uploaded on Cannons Marina’s Facebook page
- Entries must be received on Facebook by 5 p.m. Friday, August 6, 2010
- Prizes: First Place $50.00 gift certificate from Cannons, Second Place: $25.00 of Fuel from Cannons, Third Place: Soft sided Cannons Cooler. Prizes no cash value. Winners will be announced on August 10, 2010
- You must be at least 18 years of age to participate
- Entries must be submitted by the original photographer
- You must be the sole owner of the copyright of any image submitted
- You may submit any number of photographs
- Photographers retain the copyright to their photographs. By entering the contest, photographers agree to have their submitted photograph displayed on the Cannons Marina Facebook page without any fee or other form of compensation
- Photos will be credited to the photographer. Photos with watermarks, signatures, or copyright notices will not be accepted
- Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, photographic quality, and effectiveness in conveying the joy of witnessing a sunset
- Winners will be notified on Cannons Maria’s Facebook page
- Photos will never be used by Cannons Marina in any manner for marketing, advertising or sale
- Judging will be conducted by the Cannons Marina team of sunset experts and mostly by your Facebook likes and comments – so get your friends to comment!
We are so looking forward to seeing your favorite sunset photos.